This simple vegetarian bisque features savory ingredients paired with subtle flavors to create an?unexpected, vibrant taste. Grating nutmeg on top adds an exciting finish.
Smoky Acorn Squash and Lentil Bisque
Developed by Ginger Hultin
- [30 grams] ? ?2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) olive oil
- [220 grams] ?1 large yellow onion, diced
- [40 grams] ?? 3 cloves garlic, minced
- [1 gram] ? ? ? ?1 teaspoon dried thyme
- [15 grams] ? ? ? 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- [480 grams] ?1 medium acorn squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
- [940 grams] ?4 cups (950 milliliters) low-sodium vegetable broth
- [210 grams] ?1 cup red lentils, rinsed
- [4 grams] ? ? ?? teaspoon kosher salt
- [1 gram] ? ? ? ?? teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- [410 grams] ?1 24-ounce can diced fire-roasted tomatoes, with liquid
- [3 grams] ? ? ?1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg, divided among bowls to garnish
- Heat oil in a 4-quart soup pot over medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté for 3 to 5 minutes or until translucent, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds, then mix in thyme and paprika. Add squash and broth, followed by lentils, salt, pepper and tomatoes. Stir well and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium, cover and allow to simmer for about 25 minutes or until squash and lentils are soft. Turn off heat and blend until smooth, either in batches using a blender or in the soup pot using an immersion blender. Let stand for 10 minutes to allow flavors to develop. Ladle into serving bowls and garnish with freshly grated nutmeg. Serves 6.
Serving size: 1? cups (370 grams)
CALORIES 239; TOTAL FAT 5g; SAT. FAT 1g;?CHOL. 0mg; SODIUM?522mg; CARB. 41g; FIBER 14g; SUGARS 7g; PROTEIN 11g; POTASSIUM N/A; PHOSPHORUS N/A
Note: Nutrition information for potassium and phosphorus in low-sodium vegetable broth and kosher salt not available. Ground nutmeg used in nutrient analysis.