Creamy Mushroom Soup
This dairy-free twist on a classic is just as creamy as the traditional version. The secret ingredient is cooked whole oats, blended until smooth.
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 16 ounces crimini mushrooms, quartered or chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5? cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- ? cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons white miso paste
- ? teaspoon black pepper
- ? cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Sauté onion 2 to 3 minutes or until translucent.
- Add garlic, mushrooms and salt, reduce heat to medium and cook 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add stock and oats, cover and simmer for 8 minutes.
- Place miso and pepper in a large blender.* After soup has cooled slightly, pour into blender. Puree 45 seconds to 1 minute or until completely smooth. Garnish with parsley. Serves 5.
- Boiling miso can destroy its probiotic properties. Be sure the soup is warm, but not boiling, as you add it to the blender.
SERVING SIZE: 1? cups
CALORIES 130; TOTAL FAT 4g; SAT. FAT 1g; CHOL. 0mg; SODIUM 884mg; CARB. 20g; FIBER 4g; SUGARS 6g; PROTEIN 5g; POTASSIUM N/A; PHOSPHORUS N/A
Note: Nutrition information for potassium and phosphorus in low-sodium vegetable stock not available.