Great for a satisfying snack or light meal, Tuna Crispettes take about 15 minutes to prepare. Simply toss canned tuna with olive oil, fresh thyme, garlic and olives, then arrange atop toasted whole-wheat baguette. Garnish with feta cheese and bake until golden and toasted.
Follow the recipe exactly or make it your own by swapping in rosemary, dill or any other herb; adding crushed red pepper for heat; or substituting a different protein source. The options are endless! After you make this recipe, submit feedback and photos via our Test Kitchen form (deadline: November 20).
Learn more about the #FNTestKitchen contest and the prize you could win.
- [210 grams] ? of one 15-ounce whole-wheat baguette
- [15 grams] 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- [30 grams] 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- [1 gram] 1? teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- [3 grams] 1 clove fresh garlic, finely chopped or grated
- [30 grams] 2 tablespoons olive oil
- [210 grams] 2 5-ounce cans of tuna, packed in water, drained
- [50 grams] ? cup Greek olives, roughly chopped
- [75 grams] ? cup crumbled feta cheese
- [2 grams] 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C) and line a 9-by-13-inch sheet pan with aluminum foil.
- Using a bread knife, cut baguette at a 45-degree angle into ?-inch slices. Arrange bread slices evenly on sheet pan and place in the oven to toast for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, combine mustard, vinegar, thyme and garlic. Gradually whisk in oil. Using a fork, flake drained tuna into the bowl.
- Add chopped olives and mix gently with a large spoon.
- Remove bread from the oven and carefully top each slice with tuna mixture, evenly distributing it among the slices. Sprinkle each slice with cheese and return to the oven. Bake an additional 5 minutes or until golden and toasted.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before garnishing with fresh parsley. Serves 5.
- In place of thyme, try substituting fresh rosemary or dill.
- To give the recipe some heat, add 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper into tuna mixture before topping bread slices.
Serving size: 4 crispettes (130 grams)
CALORIES 266;TOTAL FAT 12g; SAT. FAT 4g; CHOL. 34mg; SODIUM 645mg; CARB. 24g; FIBER 4g; SUGARS 4g; PROTEIN 17g; POTASSIUM N/A; PHOSPHORUS N/A
Note: Garnish not included in analysis. Nutrition information for potassium and phosphorus for Dijon mustard not available.