This version of the traditional Afghan dish banjan uses roasted eggplant rather than fried. Cooked eggplant, peppers and tomatoes are layered with creamy yogurt sauce, then garnished with fresh herbs.
SERVING SIZE: 1? cups (310 grams)
PREP TIME: 15 minutes
COOKING TIME: 40 minutes
- 2 small globe eggplants, cut horizontally into ?-inch slices
- ? teaspoon sea salt, divided
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into ?-inch slices
- ? cup (59 milliliters) olive oil
- 1 cup plain reduced-fat yogurt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped and divided
- 2 cups fresh tomato, chopped
- 1? teaspoons turmeric, divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C). Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place eggplant in a colander and sprinkle with ? teaspoon salt. Set aside 10 minutes.
- Use paper towel to pat eggplant dry and brush away excess salt.
- Place eggplant and pepper in a large mixing bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and toss.
- Arrange eggplant and pepper on baking sheet. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix yogurt, garlic and 2 tablespoons mint. Store in refrigerator until ready to use.
- To a large, deep skillet with lid, add chopped tomatoes, 1 teaspoon turmeric and remaining salt.
- Layer cooked eggplant and peppers on top. Add remaining turmeric.
- Cover and cook over medium-high heat for 6 to 8 minutes until tomatoes start to soften. Uncover and stir.
- Cook uncovered 2 to 4 minutes until eggplant is fully softened and tomatoes have formed a sauce.
- To serve, spread all but 2 tablespoons yogurt sauce across the bottom of a large bowl or platter. Layer eggplant-pepper-tomato mixture on top and sprinkle with remaining mint and cilantro. Drizzle with remaining yogurt.
Cooking Note: If fresh tomatoes are unavailable, use a 14.5-ounce can of diced fire-roasted tomatoes.
NUTRITION PER SERVING: 233 calories, 16g total fat, 3g saturated fat, 4mg cholesterol, 346mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate, 6g fiber, 12g sugar, 6g protein, 779mg potassium, 154mg phosphorus