This stew is inspired by the Turkish dish, Kuzu etli bamya, with okra and lamb in a spiced and herbed tomato broth.
SERVING SIZE: 1 cup stew and ? cup rice (305 grams)
PREP TIME: 20 minutes
COOKING TIME: 2 hours 15 minutes
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) olive oil
- ? pound lamb or beef shoulder, trimmed of fat, cubed and patted dry
- 12 ounces frozen sliced okra
- 3 cups (about 2 medium) red bell pepper, diced
- 1? cups (about 1 small) yellow onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons no-salt-added tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon (about 3 cloves) garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1? teaspoons ground cumin
- ? teaspoon ground black pepper
- ? teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 15-ounce (470 milliliters) can no-salt-added crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups (500 milliliters) unsalted beef stock
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ? teaspoon granulated sugar
- ? cup flat-leaf Italian parsley or cilantro, chopped
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- To a Dutch oven or braising pan at medium-high heat, add olive oil.
- Add lamb or beef and spread out in a single layer. Cook 1 to 2 minutes per side until lightly browned. Remove from pan and set aside in foil.
- Add okra to same pot and sauté 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally until lightly browned on all sides.
- Reduce to medium heat and add pepper and onion.
- Sauté 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are soft and lightly browned on edges.
- Stir in tomato paste, garlic, salt, coriander, cumin, black pepper and cayenne pepper and sauté 30 to 60 seconds, stirring constantly, until fragrant.
- Add meat back to pot with crushed tomatoes and stock and bring to low simmer. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally for 2 hours or until lamb or beef is fork tender and a minimum internal temperature of 145°F (63°C) is reached.
- Stir in lemon zest and juice, sugar and half the parsley or cilantro.
- Serve over brown rice and top with remaining parsley or cilantro.
NUTRITION PER SERVING: 247 calories, 10g total fat, 3g saturated fat, 25mg cholesterol, 584mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate, 6g fiber, 9g sugar, 12g protein, N/A potassium, N/A phosphorus