I don’t know about you, but I love brunch! I especially love French toast!
Brioche bread is buttery and light and it has a sweet taste. This works perfectly for my French toast since I usually don’t have syrup at home, but you can use whatever bread you’d like.
How do you get crispy French toast?
The key to crispy French toast is making sure your griddle is hot before adding the bread and add oil or butter to the surface. This will allow the sugars from the milk and bread to crisp up very nicely. In addition to this, the shredded coconut in this recipe will add even more crunch. If you like extremely crispy French toast, it’s better to use a skillet and you’ll need to add more oil.
Stuffed Coconut French Toast
- 2 slices thick sliced brioche bread
- 2 large eggs
- ? cup coconut milk or almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ? cup shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons whipped cream cheese
- Optional toppings: sliced bananas, raspberries, hemp hearts, nut butter, honey
- In a shallow dish combine egg, milk, vanilla extract and shredded coconut.
- Add brioche bread one slice at a time and coat with batter – really make sure the mixture soaks into the bread. At this point, the bread should be coated with coconut flakes on each side.
- Preheat the griddle to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and coat with cooking spray.
- Place bread slices on the griddle and cook for 3 minutes on one side or until golden brown and flip. Cook another 2 minutes on the other side.
- Once French toast is cooked, place whipped cream cheese in between both slices and put them together like a sandwich.
- Top with desired toppings and serve warm.