Nothing says cozy like a good bowl of chili on a cold day. This Smoky Lentil and Quinoa Chili is hearty and filling and comes together in a slow cooker. It gets its smokiness from Spanish smoked paprika and chili pepper salsa. Just like any chili, it freezes well and takes little effort in the kitchen. Lentils are a great source of plant-based protein, high in fiber and naturally low in saturated fat. Quinoa is a whole grain and is also a good source of plant protein. Personally, I can’t eat chili without cornbread, but add your own toppings and sides as you please.
The good in this? This chili is 100 percent plant-based. Plant-based diets have been shown to lower the risk heart disease, obesity and certain cancers. Aim to incorporate more meatless meals throughout the week!
Smoky Lentil and Quinoa Chili
Serves 6 to 8
- 1 cup red quinoa
- 1 cup green lentils
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- ??medium onion, diced
- ??bell pepper, chopped
- 12 ounces frozen corn
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- ??tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ??teaspoon salt
- ??teaspoon pepper
- Chili pepper salsa and fresh cilantro for garnish
- Place all ingredients into a slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Cover with lid and cook on low for 4 to 5 hours.
- To serve, portion about 1? cups in a bowl and top with salsa and cilantro.