This recipe is completely versatile and can be personalized depending on what vegetables you like or what you have on hand. Make it today and eat it throughout the rest of the week!
Roasted Veggie and Chickpea Stew
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 yellow pepper, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 small butternut squash or 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 small eggplant, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ? teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- 2 14.5-ounce cans diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- Fresh chopped parsley, for garnish
- Couscous, for serving (optional)
Preheat oven to 425°F. Place diced veggies on a large sheet pan and drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and roast for 25 minutes or until nicely caramelized.
Place roasted vegetables in a Dutch oven or large saucepan and add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, garlic powder and chickpeas; stir to combine.
Turn oven temperature down to 375°F, cover the pot with a lid and bake for 40 minutes, or until the stew has thickened and is bubbly.
Serve the stew over couscous, if desired. Garnish with fresh parsley.
Cooking Note: Substitute fresh chopped basil and oregano in place of Italian seasoning if you like.